I know I say it a lot, but my goodness I’ve been busy lately. We’ve had a lot on our plate, both good and bad, but I’ve finally found a bit of time to catch you all up on some of the bits I’ve been working on.
These quilts have been a long time coming. I was first contacted by Heather over a year ago – she was collecting Liberty fabrics for her twin girls which she wanted turned into matching wall hangings to dress their bedroom with. Finally this summer she had collected enough fabric to make them and sent everything over to me to start work. And what a lovely selection it was…While the fabrics are more traditional than I’d usually choose, it was nice to do something out of the norm. Who can resist Liberty Tana Lawn anyway; it’s simply lovely and a dream to work with. Heather was taken with this Liberty quilt pattern, so I worked out my own pattern using this as a model, to ensure the finished quilts would meet Heather’s specific size requirements. For the first time I used the traditional technique of needle-turn applique to attach the hearts. While this was a very lengthy process (about 30mins per heart, x 18!! Yeah, I’m a slow hand-sewer…) I think it was worth it for the seamless look on these traditional quilts. I also quilted them using the stitch-in-the-ditch method, which meant all stitches were hidden from view.